There is movement in the train room …
Again, it’s been quite a while since my last post, but things are beginning to happen in the train room.
Over the last few months, I have been redesigning the layout to fit in the new layout room in the new house. It has been rather frustrating at times due to the fact I have had problems with trying to fit the layout into a multi deck design, but due to there being a rising and falling grade either side of Ardglen, there have been issues with clearances between decks and I am still at a point where the design is not working. I am up to Version 7 of the design at the moment, but I think I am pretty close to getting it right.
I am also hoping to open up another small area under the house to add to the main room. Click here for a drawing showing the current room plan. This involves quite a lot of work with dirt to be excavated, two brick piers to be removed and the existing timber bearer replaced with a steel beam. Click here for a second drawing showing the proposed future addition. There will also be drainage issues to deal with, but my builder says it’s all possible, but I need to get a structural engineer to look at the job.
So, this has been put on hold for the time being until the layout design is finalised, as I want to make sure if I open up this space that it will be of benefit and not just a waste of time and money.
A few days ago I started work on an area that will become the modelling bench and second computer station. I was able to salvage a bench I had in the previous house. So, I have done all the cabling for power and data, and today I put the first coat of paint on some of the brick walls. Hopefully the second coat will go on tomorrow, then attach the bench to the wall and terminate the power and data cables.