Track Detailing – Part I …
Posted by Ian Millard
Just recently I have started painting the CV track in the Temple Court section.
The bare rails and plastic sleepers needed an undercoat prior to applying colour to them. I decided to use some Killrust etch grey undercoat, as I had used the same when painting the track on Bowen Creek. It was suitably thinned down to at least a 50:50 ratio and was applied by airbrush.
After the undercoat had dried, I decided to trial some colours in the short section leading off the staging yards. I masked off the tieplates and played around with finding a colour to paint these and the rail. Some time ago, I had gone to the local art supplies and purchased some acrylic paints that I thought would do the trick in painting the track. I ended up getting some colours that I had noted people were using from various weathering sites.
The mix was applied very lightly using the dry-brush method where there is minimal paint on the brush. I initially applied the Burnt Sienna straight, but it was too bright.
I then made a blend of Burnt Umber and Burnt Sienna, varying the mix until I got something that looked right. I wanted to get a base coat of a weathered rusty look but not too rusty.
The sleepers then needed a base colour, but at this point I was unsure of what to use. In studying a lot of photos I have, it’s very hard to see sleeper colour and it doesn’t help that the ballast is covering the sleepers in most areas, but I decided just to dry brush the Burnt Umber over the sleepers.
At this stage, I’m happy with the result. I think that once the ballast is applied and some weathering powders added, it will look OK.
I shall keep going like this in the Temple Court section, maybe slightly changing the rail colour as I go so as not to look too uniform.
After the track is painted, I’ll start on the scenery landforms.
Comments and feedback are most welcome.