Chilcott’s Ck bridge transoms – Part II …
Transom installation is now complete on the Chilcott’s Ck bridge.
After the initial staining mentioned in the previous post, I thought the transoms ended up a bit too light, so I attacked them with some of the crayon powders, and I think they look heaps better. The plan is to do more weathering using the powders after the rails have been installed.
I had thought a fair bit on what type of glue to use for fixing the transoms to the girders, and after seeking advice from fellow modellers, I decided to use Tarzan’s Grip. I had thought about using 5 minute Araldite, but there’s just not enough working time with the stuff, and the normal Araldite takes hours to completely set. The Tarzan’s Grip cures in thirty minutes and remains usable for about ten minutes.
There are ninety eight transoms on the bridge and I decided to fix down ten at a time.
The first transom was fixed in place, ensuring it was square to the girders, and allowed to set before commencing the others.
The spacing between transoms was made at eight scale inches using pieces of styrene strip.
After gluing a batch of transoms in place, some old Kadee uncoupling magnets are placed on top to keep things flat and using the bottle of Tarzan’s Grip as a weight, are left to cure for thirty minutes.
A progress shot.
Next job is to make a jig for locating the tieplates on the transoms.