Blog Archives

Handrails on Kankool platform

I also did some more work on the recently completed handrails for the platform at Kankool.

They were given an initial spot of weathering then attached to the platform using superglue.

Weathering was done using thinned Vallejo acrylic washes as well as some spot application of rust colours.

I’ll probably do some further blending using the pan pastels.

The edge of the platform timbers on the rail side were also given a dry brush of white paint.

Ballasting at Kankool

I have recently started applying dirt and ballast around the turnouts at the Werris Creek end of Kankool. The picture below shows the initial application prior to gluing. The ballast tends to darken once glued, but I have been going over it again, once dry, with either pastels, grouts or dirt to lighten up again.

The section of track curving away in the upper right hand corner is the “run-off” from the loop on the falling grade. It is essentially a catchpoint protecting the main line. This short section will be modelled as overgrown with grasses and not much ballast.

Sleepers and rail have been weathered using pan pastels. The track has previously been sprayed with Krylon Camo Brown, and the pastels take to it nicely. In the picture below, you can see the difference between the weathered and non weathered section of track. You can see the difference in the rail colour at the extreme left.

First 442 class weathered

It’s been a while between posts.

Work on the layout has been sporadic at best. My order of Auscision Models 442 class locomotives arrived in late February and one entered the weathering shop almost straight away.

Once again, Auscision have excelled themselves with this model. They are a superb runner with excellent detail and equipped with the latest Loksound V5 decoder.

Weathering involved my usual techniques of a black oil wash and Pan Pastels, although this time, the body was nearly exclusively done with the wash, with the pastels used only for highlighting.

I also completed weathering of 4821, which was the dreaded “stuff up” late last year where I mistakenly washed the body in metho prior to weathering. It has turned out pretty good.

Resurrecting 4821

I recently made a start on weathering 4821 since I made the dreaded metho stuff up.

I started with an all over black wash and have started to apply some pastels, starting with black on the roof. I think it will turn out OK.

Ballast weathering

Tried out some weathering on the ballast today.

As mentioned previously, the glued ballast dries a bit too dark, so I’ve gone over it with some grey pan pastels. More rust colour has been re-applied to the rail and onto the ballast to get that rust stained look. Some black also applied between the rails for the oil stains that occur from bogies and traction motors.

A work in progress.

Preparing for ballasting

I have started back on some scenery work from Chilcott’s Ck bridge towards Kankool.

This has involved preparing the track for ballasting. I recently reshaped the roadbed profile as I wasn’t happy with how it looked. Using a grinding bit in the Dremel, I carefully ground more of an angled shoulder from the end of the sleepers down to the surrounding formation. Once this was complete, I glued some base ‘dirt’ down on the profile shoulders. I then added some colour to the sleepers and rail using Pan Pastels.

In the last photo, you can see the difference where the track has not been coloured.

Track Weathering

I have started with some track weathering in preparation for ballasting the short section between the entrance “rat hole” and the bridge.

Pan Pastels were used with Neutral Grey Extra Dark applied to the sleepers and Red Iron Oxide Extra Dark applied to the rails. This is just a preliminary pastel application prior to the ballast, after which the sleepers and rail will be touched up again to blend into the ballast. I hope it is evident in the photos, as the close-up shows the difference.

%d bloggers like this: