Category Archives: Benchwork
Well I can’t believe it’s 12 months since my last post. I just never seemed to get around to posting anything.
One of the biggest tasks undertaken was to re-glue the rails to the CV ties all the way from Kankool to Ardglen. I had discovered that the rail had started to lift in quite a few locations. I am still unsure what the cause was, but I’m putting it down to my initial glue mixture of contact cement and MEK.
I had been very apprehensive about doing it, but realised I had to just bite the bullet. Subsequently over about a six week period, I lifted 38 metres of rail, cleaned the old glue of the base and also off the CV ties, and using Pliobond straight from the tube, applied it to both rail and ties and re-laid the rail back in place. The process wasn’t too bad, as it was still all pre-curved.
During the process, I also increased the gap between lengths of rail from virtually nothing to around the thickness of a piece of paper.
The next biggest task had been to install more scenery foam nearly all the way to where Ardglen quarry is located. This was roughed in using previous techniques and is yet to be carved to shape.
More backscene board was installed, again, up to where the quarry is located.
Work continues on foam installation in the area between the main peninsula and Ardglen.
As mentioned in a previous post, the track will be on quite a high embankment here with the New England Highway skirting around below.
I have also recently been purchasing and stocking up on seafoam “trees”. I have been able to successfully source them from Hattons Model Railways (https://www.hattons.co.uk/…/Gaugemaste…/StockDetail.aspx). They are the Gaugemaster brand GM195. I can get two boxes shipped here for around $60. There are literally dozens of “trees” in each box with a variety of sizes. Have a look at this video by Luke Towan as he describes how to make very realistic gum trees from the seafoam. https://youtu.be/IB6gMvN78fA
I also recently made the tree drying rack Luke uses in the video, and today I prepared some trees for straightening. Every month or so I get another two boxes shipped over and stockpile them.
Work continues on more fascia installation on the other side of the main peninsula.
As before, I temporarily clamp a piece of masonite in place to get the curve required, then foam is cut to the curve and laid down. MDF backscene has also been installed.
This section will be on quite an embankment with more high hills behind. There will also be another section of the New England Highway here as shown in the picture of a reference photo.
Over the last few months I have been busy installing fascia from Kankool to the main peninsula.
This also involved more foam installation in the foreground and shaping this in preparation for the fascia. I also finalised the location of the New England Highway near Kankool that was mentioned in a previous post.
I have glued the cork down but that’s as far as I’ll go with this for a while until I start on the scenery. The unpainted section of fascia was installed this afternoon.
More progress on foam installation from the peninsula back towards Kankool. Track will be on quite an embankment here with hills behind.
More progress on the peninsula scenery. Started on the foreground foam and establishing the fascia edge. Timber extensions were added to the original joists, thus setting the front edge of the fascia. The strip of masonite is temporarily held in place to establish the curve which is then used to cut the foreground foam to shape.
Scenery taking shape around the peninsula between Kankool and Ardglen.
This will be quite a high cutting in this area. To save on foam use, only about half the area between the track and the backscene is built up, then the top couple of layers are cantilevered back to and attached to the backscene.
First section of ‘back scene’ has been installed around the peninsula along with gluing some foam down.
The scenery here will pretty much be hills right up to the top edge of the back scene, so there will hardly be any ‘sky’ as such.
The MDF is purely there to help strengthen the upper deck supports and to provide something to attach the foam to as the hills take shape.
I had been trying to sort out some more issues with a new turnout actuator, so my attention has turned to benchwork, particularly around the main peninsula.
Supports for the backdrop and upper deck have been installed. The scene depth here will be around 300mm behind the track.
Over the last few months, I have completed all spline work within the Ardglen area, including the ballast sidings, and also to a point about halfway between Ardglen and Pangela.
This now means I have completed construction of 80% of total spline, which equates to 292 feet (88.5 metres) with just 74 feet (22.5 metres) of spline left to build through Pangela and to connect up to the helix.
The two images below are views of Ardglen from either end, showing the storage and goods sidings.
The next image is a shot further down the grade from Ardglen, looking back towards the ballast sidings coming off the quarry road.
The next image shows the shunting neck at the end of the quarry road.
The next image shows a general view of the section above Temple Court. I have yet to finalise setting the grade in this section. Temple Court has been covered with drop sheets to protect the scenery from dust and dirt whilst working above.
The next series of images show the spline from Ardglen tunnel through to a point about halfway to Pangela.